Global equality campaigners may be removed from the last Occupy London campsite as soon as today after losing a court bid to appeal their eviction.
A U.K. judge refused the protesters permission to appeal a June 1 order to leave the site on the fringes of the city of London financial district, Ranjit Bhose, a lawyer for the borough of Islington where the camp is located, said in an e-mail. Protesters said they may be removed within hours and surrounded their tents with a ring of wooden pallets and debris.
“People who found shelter here will lose that,” said a spokeswoman who identified herself as Rosa Rosa. “Our circumstances won’t change. These are people who will still be homeless.”
The Occupy Movement began in New York in September, when protesters took up residence in a park to highlight Americans who suffered as banks recovered from the 2008 financial crisis. The movement spread to cities around the world. Occupy London protesters have cost the City of London and its police about 1.1 million pounds ($1.7 million) in legal and monitoring costs, according to information obtained in a Freedom of Information request by Bloomberg News.
A spokesman for the London Metropolitan police said court appointed bailiffs will carry any eviction with the support of local police if needed.
Bhose said that the protesters have a right to make an “oral renewal” of the application to appeal. He said he didn’t know if one had been made.
The Islington authority served the protesters on May 11 with a legal notice of eviction from the site giving them until May 18 to clear the square of tents and other temporary structures. The process was halted during court challenges.
Chris Roe, a spokesman for Islington, declined to immediately comment.