June 11 (Bloomberg) -- Cheung Kong Center, where Hong Kong’s richest man Li Ka-shing has his office, lifted some access restrictions after protesters left the premises.
Protesters, numbering as many as 70, strung banners and chanted slogans demanding their money back on an investment outside the entrances of the building in Hong Kong’s central business district today. Some tried to enter the building earlier. They left at about 6 p.m., according to a police officer.
Barricades were erected outside some entrances, including the driveway, during the day with security guards blocking access. Police vehicles and policemen were seen patrolling the building’s premises earlier in the day.
“We’re trying to gather here at Cheung Kong Center to voice our anger” about the development of Guangzhou International Toys & Gift Centre, said Anthony Mok, 59, one of the protesters.
Cheung Kong (Holdings) Ltd. and Hutchison Whampoa Ltd., controlled by Li, have a combined 60 percent stake in Guangzhou International Toys & Gift Centre, a commercial development in the southern Chinese province. Cheung Kong Center is owned by Hutchison Whampoa.
Mok and other protesters said Cheung Kong and Hutchison Whampoa have changed the development plans of the project, which hurt their investments in it. Cheung Kong said in a statement today that the “accusations are groundless.”
To contact the reporter on this story: Crystal Chui in Hong Kong at email@example.com
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Hwee Ann Tan at firstname.lastname@example.org