June 3 (Bloomberg) -- Johan Santana may get an extra day or two of rest before his next start after throwing the first no-hitter in New York Mets history.
Santana, 33, told reporters yesterday that he felt fine a day after throwing the third no-hitter of the Major League Baseball season. He threw a career-high 134 pitches in the win.
Santana is in his first season back from shoulder surgery, which forced him to miss all of 2011. When he started on opening day this season, it was his first major league appearance since Sept. 2, 2010.
“Definitely, the next couple days are going to be important to see how I recover,” Santana said. “To see when I’m going to throw my bullpen, and if we have to take an extra day, there’s nothing wrong with that.”
Santana struck out eight and walked five in his 8-0 victory against the St. Louis Cardinals for the first no-hitter in the Mets’ 51-season history. The Mets and the San Diego Padres had been the only MLB franchises without a no-hitter.
Santana (3-2) has thrown consecutive shutouts, including a 9-0 victory on May 26 against the Padres. His next start, scheduled for June 6 at Washington, may be put back until June 7 against the Nationals or June 8 at the New York Yankees.
Mets manager Terry Collins told reporters that he had planned to limit Santana to 115 pitches. Santana said he never thought about asking Collins to take him out.
“It might be once in a lifetime,” Santana told reporters. “You may spend your entire career and never have a chance to do it.”
To contact the reporter on this story: Rob Gloster in San Francisco at email@example.com
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Michael Sillup at firstname.lastname@example.org