May 31 (Bloomberg) -- Joel Robuchon, the most Michelin-starred chef in the world, will close his only New York restaurant at the end of June.
“Four Seasons Hotel New York and L’Atelier de Joel Robuchon have come to an agreement not to renew their current operating arrangement,” according to an announcement sent out by the hotel.
The announcement called the decision mutual, to “allow both parties to focus on new ventures.”
The news was first reported by the New York Times.
Robuchon recently consulted on the menu at Kibo, a Japanese-themed restaurant on Manhattan’s East 18th Street, that announced its closing earlier this week.
L’Atelier, which opened in 2006, currently offers an eight-course tasting menu for $190.
Alan Richman, in a review for Bloomberg News shortly after the opening, wrote that he preferred the New York L’Atelier to locations in Las Vegas and Paris.
“Something else is different about this L’Atelier. Other than the mostly baffling desserts, the food is startlingly good ... More than a half-dozen items were Robuchon at his best, which means precisely assembled, absolutely coherent, unabashedly delicious,” Richman wrote.
A la carte selections range from $17 for a crispy langoustine papillote with basil pesto, to $91 for caviar over a poached egg.
“Nothing has been planned as of yet” for the soon-to-be vacated space, said Tiffani Cailor, a spokeswoman for the Four Seasons, in a phone interview. She said that Franck Savoy, the hotel’s director of food and beverage, and son of the French chef Guy Savoy, won’t be involved with the replacement.
Muse highlights include Manuela Hoelterhoff on music and Rich Jaroslovsky on tech.
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Manuela Hoelterhoff at email@example.com.