May 30 (Bloomberg) -- Organizers of last year’s Rugby World Cup in New Zealand said they made a lower-than-forecast loss of NZ$31.3 million ($23.8 million) from staging the 20-team event.
The loss from hosting the seventh edition of rugby’s four-yearly championship was NZ$8 million less then previously forecast, Rugby New Zealand 2011 Ltd., the joint venture between the New Zealand Government and its national rugby union, said today in an e-mailed statement.
“Very few global sporting events ever come in on budget,” RNZ 2011 Chairman Brian Roche said. “RWC 2011 was an extremely challenging event to deliver, of a scale and complexity never staged in this country so to deliver a significantly better than expected result is an extraordinary achievement.”
The six-week tournament, which culminated in a victory for the All Blacks, attracted about 133,000 visitors from more than 100 countries to New Zealand and a cumulative global television audience of 3.9 billion, RNZ 2011 said.
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Dan Baynes at email@example.com