Bloomberg Anywhere Login

Bloomberg

Connecting decision makers to a dynamic network of information, people and ideas, Bloomberg quickly and accurately delivers business and financial information, news and insight around the world.

Company

Financial Products

Enterprise Products

Media

Customer Support

  • Americas

    +1 212 318 2000

  • Europe, Middle East, & Africa

    +44 20 7330 7500

  • Asia Pacific

    +65 6212 1000

Communications

Industry Products

Media Services

Follow Us

Sub-Sahara Africa Stocks: Dangote Sugar, Eterna Oil & Gas

May 15 (Bloomberg) -- The Nigerian Stock Exchange All-Share Index fell 0.6 percent to 22,422.43 by the close in Lagos, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

Kenya’s All-Share Index gained for a third day, rising 0.2 percent to 63.74 in Nairobi. Mauritius’s SEMDEX Index climbed 0.1 percent to 1,808.32 in Port Louis. The FTSE/Namibia Overall Index declined for a second day, dropping 0.3 percent to 878.03 in Windhoek.

The following shares were active in sub-Saharan Africa, excluding South Africa. Stock symbols are in parentheses.

Co-operative Bank of Kenya Ltd. (COOP KN), the country’s fourth-biggest lender by market value, gained to a six-month high, jumping 0.7 percent to 14.10 shillings. Investors are betting first-quarter earnings will grow 10 percent to 15 percent, George Bodo, head of research at Nairobi-based Old Mutual Securities Ltd. said in a phone interview today.

Dangote Sugar Refinery Plc (DANGSUGA NL), Nigeria’s biggest producer of the sweetener by market value, rose to the highest in three months, adding 1 percent to 4 naira. The company plans to increase its output 71 percent to 2.4 million metric tons by the third quarter of next year.

Eterna Oil & Gas Plc (ETERNAOI NL), a Nigerian distributor of petroleum products, fell for a second day, dropping 4.6 percent to 3.08 naira. 9. Oil traded near the lowest in five months in New York before reports forecast to show U.S. crude stockpiles rose to the highest level in 21 years.

To contact the reporter on this story: Chris Kay in Lagos at ckay5@bloomberg.net and Stephen Gunnion in Johannesburg at sgunnion@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Gavin Serkin at gserkin@bloomberg.net

Please upgrade your Browser

Your browser is out-of-date. Please download one of these excellent browsers:

Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera or Internet Explorer.