Man Who Sailed Breivik to Island Mistook Shootings for Drill

Anders Behring Breivik
The 10-week trial of Anders Behring Breivik started its third week today. Photographer: Hakon Mosvold Larsen/AFP/Getty Images

The captain of the boat that brought Anders Behring Breivik to Norway’s Utoeya island said he initially thought the confessed killer was performing a police drill as he opened fire and killed 69 people.

Breivik had a rigid posture, and spoke quickly and decisively as he was ferried out dressed as a policeman to execute the second phase of his July 22 hate killings, Jon Olsen, the captain, testified in the Oslo District Court today.

“I think, in my head, this must be a rehearsal and at the same time I think, but they would have told me and I think that something must be wrong,” he said. “I thought then about Qaddafi and how he would send terrorists to the countries that bombed Libya, so I thought he was from Libya.”

After helping Breivik transport his equipment to the main house on the island, the captain said he was about 10 meters (33 feet) away, when Breivik opened fire on his victims. Among those killed was the boat captain’s partner, Monica Boesei, the caretaker at the Labor Party youth camp.

The 10-week trial of the 33-year-old Oslo native started its third week today with testimony from witnesses on Utoeya, where Breivik’s shooting rampage targeted the youth wing of the ruling Labor Party. He arrived at the island hours after detonating a car bomb at the prime minister’s office, killing seven people in Norway’s worst peace-time attacks.

‘Heavy’ Legs

Olsen said that after the initial shootings he ran with “really heavy” legs into the woods and eventually got back to the boat where people were hiding. He started the boat back to the mainland as people were getting messages of a “wild shooting.”

“Then I started to feel the desperation creep in on me,” he said. “I look up and think that the sky should be full of helicopters and that there should be blue lights everywhere and that’s when I get desperate.”

Breivik arrived on the island at 5:15 p.m. local time and was arrested at about 6:35 p.m., according to the indictment. There were 564 people on the island.

Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal. LEARN MORE