April 12 (Bloomberg) -- London police said their anti-terrorism hot line wasn’t hacked by activists following an investigation into claims calls were recorded.
“We are confident the MPS communication systems have not been breached and remain, as they always have been, secure,” Ailsa Beaton, director of information for the Metropolitan Police Service, said in an e-mailed statement. “We are satisfied that any recording would have been made via the receiving handset only and not from an attack on internal systems.”
The Met said earlier today that the anti-terrorism hot line may have been accessed by unidentified “hoaxers” who recorded phone calls and other conversations between hot-line staff.
The investigation comes as the police force known as Scotland Yard is investigating the LulzSec group of hackers who have attacked websites of businesses and government agencies. A British man arrested as part of a joint U.K. and U.S. investigation was denied bail last month after he contacted a co-conspirator in the group.
To contact the reporter on this story: Erik Larson in London at email@example.com
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Anthony Aarons at firstname.lastname@example.org