March 27 (Bloomberg) -- Police said they would not press charges against a 39-year-old man arrested last August in a phone-hacking probe at News Corp.’s News of the World tabloid.
He was the 11th person detained in the probe last year, police said in an e-mailed statement today. The man is James Desborough, the former News of the World U.S. editor, the Guardian newspaper reported.
Desborough is at least the second person cleared by police in the investigation. Laura Elston, a reporter for the U.K. Press Association, was told by police in July that she wouldn’t face charges in the case. She had been arrested on suspicion of unlawfully intercepting mobile phone voice mail messages.
A spokeswoman for News Corp.’s U.K. newspaper unit declined to comment.
More than 30 people have been arrested in parallel police probes into phone hacking, bribes to public officials and computer hacking at News Corp.’s U.K. newspapers. The New York-based company shuttered the News of the World in July to help contain public outrage after it was revealed the tabloid hacked into the voice mails of a murdered schoolgirl.
To contact the reporter on this story: Lindsay Fortado in London at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Anthony Aarons at email@example.com