March 20 (Bloomberg) -- Ricardo Teixeira resigned from the executive committee of soccer’s governing body, one week after quitting as head of the Brazilian federation and the group organizing the 2014 World Cup.
Teixeira, 64, said he was stepping down from FIFA’s 24-person executive, of which he’d been a member since 1994, for personal reasons, the South American Football Confederation, or CONMEBOL, said on its website yesterday. CONMEBOL didn’t give further details for the “irrevocable” decision.
Teixeira, who has suffered bouts of ill health this year, resigned last week as both president of Brazil’s soccer federation and head of the organizing committee for the 2014 World Cup. He was replaced in both posts by his vice president and former Sao Paulo governor Jose Maria Marin.
His resignation from the CBF ended a 23-year tenure marked by an unmatched World Cup record for the national team during that period and accusations of corruption off the field.
In 2001, Brazil’s Congress investigated Teixeira over alleged irregularities. The British Broadcasting Corp. named him as a beneficiary of bribes paid by FIFA’s bankrupt former marketing partner ISL in a separate case. He has denied all the allegations.
Brazil played in three World Cup finals during Teixeira’s tenure, winning the 1994 and 2002 editions to lift its tally to a record five victories at the four-yearly championship.
To contact the reporter on this story: Dan Baynes in Sydney at email@example.com
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Christopher Elser at firstname.lastname@example.org