Jan. 25 (Bloomberg) -- Manchester City forward Mario Balotelli will begin serving a four-game suspension tonight after accepting a violent conduct charge, the Football Association said.
Balotelli appeared to strike Tottenham midfielder Scott Parker in the head with his foot during City’s 3-2 win in the Premier League three days ago. Balotelli, who had received a yellow card earlier in the game, wasn’t punished by referee Howard Webb and went on the score the winning goal with a penalty kick late in stoppage time.
The F.A. said on its website that Balotelli will not appeal the ban, which begins with tonight’s Carling Cup semifinal second leg at Liverpool, where City must overcome a 1-0 deficit from the opening game.
The Italian will also miss league matches against Everton, Fulham and Aston Villa, and would be available for the Carling Cup final on Feb. 26 should City advance.
To contact the reporter on this story: Bob Bensch in London at email@example.com.
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Christopher Elser at firstname.lastname@example.org.