Jan. 25 (Bloomberg) -- The Kenya Ports Authority waived storage charges on all containers that have been at the Mombasa port for more than 100 days in order to decongest the facility.
All containers that have been at the port for that length of time must be collected by March 1 or they will be destroyed, Managing Director Gichiri Ndua said in a statement published in the Nairobi-based Standard newspaper today.
The authority identified 466 export containers, 294 transit import containers and 737 domestic import containers that have been at the port as many as 1,000 days, Cyrus Njiru, permanent secretary in the Transport Ministry told reporters today at a briefing in Mombasa.
Container traffic through port of Mombasa, East Africa’s biggest, may increase 1.2 percent this year to 800,000 20-foot equivalent units, following growth of 12 percent to 790,000 TEUs last year, Ndua said on Jan. 11.
To contact the reporter on this story: Consolatah Lucas in Mombasa via Nairobi at email@example.com.
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Paul Richardson at firstname.lastname@example.org.