Dec. 23 (Bloomberg) -- Six-time All-Star outfielder Carlos Beltran has agreed to a two-year contract with the World Series champion St. Louis Cardinals, General Manager John Mozeliak said.
The Cardinals did not give other details of the contract. The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported the deal includes a no-trade clause and is worth $26 million, without saying where it got the information.
The Cardinals lost first baseman Albert Pujols, who won three National League Most Valuable Player awards while leading St. Louis to two World Series titles in 11 seasons, as a free agent to the Los Angeles Angels earlier this month.
“Beltran is a proven outfielder who obviously has been a tough opponent against the Cardinals for many years,” Mozeliak said in a statement on the team’s website. “It is going to be nice to have his bat and competitive nature working for us instead of on the other side of the field for the next couple of years.”
During the last Major League Baseball season, the 34-year-old Beltran hit .300 with 22 home runs in 142 games for the New York Mets and San Francisco Giants. He also has played for Kansas City and Houston during a 14-year MLB career.
Beltran, a three-time Gold Glove winner for his defensive play in center field, may move to right field to take the place of Lance Berkman -- who probably will replace Pujols at first base.
To contact the reporter on this story: Nancy Kercheval in Washington at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Michael Sillup at email@example.com