Bloomberg’s 2011 international sports quiz. The answers can be found here.
1) Which former player, known as the Lion of Vienna, died in February?
2) The four-yearly Asian Cup was won by which nation in January?
3) Which player, who made a record 130 international appearances for the Netherlands, retired in 2011?
4) What teams won the Spanish, German, French and Italian leagues last season?
5) Who was fired by a Championship club in January after 20 months in charge, saying “results haven’t been as good as I’d have hoped so far this season and when results aren’t good the manager gets the sack, that’s the game.”
6) Whose defending was described as though he was controlled by “10-year-old playing PlayStation?”
7) Who was the assistant referee criticized by television commentators Andy Gray and Richard Keys, with Keys saying “the game’s gone mad.”
8) What island nation, which was a dual 204th (and last) in FIFA’s world rankings, won its first match after 30 straight losses in a World Cup qualifying match in November?
9) In February, what team ended Manchester United’s 24-game unbeaten run and 29-match streak dating back to the previous season?
10) What Tottenham player got two yellow cards in seven minutes to get ejected from the club’s 4-0 loss to Real Madrid in the opening match of their Champions League quarterfinal?
11) Which coach said “sometimes it disgusts me to live in this world of soccer” after saying refereeing mistakes led to his team losing in the Champions League semifinals?
12) Which player set a tournament record with 17 goals in helping Porto to the Europa League title?
13) Real Madrid had to replace the Copa del Rey cup after which player dropped it under the bus carrying the team during its victory celebration?
14) Which term has FIFA President Sepp Blatter been elected to?
15) Who did Andy Carroll replace as the most expensive British soccer player?
16) Which Argentine soccer team was relegated to the country’s second-tier for the first time in its 110-year history?
17) According to the Premier League, which player had the best-selling soccer jersey by the end of the 2010-11 season?
18) Which French team did former Liverpool, West Ham and Chelsea player Joe Cole join?
19) Which two London soccer teams announced plans to delist their shares from the stock exchange?
20) Which London soccer team had its biggest loss in a game since 1896?
21) Who was Real Madrid’s most-expensive offseason signing?
22) Which Serie A club was bought by a group of U.S. investment managers?
23) Which Spanish team dropped out of the top division barely a decade after winning the league?
1) Which golfer missed this year’s British Open after jumping in a lake to celebrate a victory at the French Open in July?
2) Who was disqualified from the European Tour’s Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship after a television viewer noticed he’d moved his ball a fraction after replacing it on the green and wrote into the organizers?
3) Darren Clarke won the British Open for the first time in his 20th try, breaking which player’s record of 15 tries before winning the championship?
4) Keegan Bradley won the U.S. PGA Championship in his major tournament debut by beating which player in a playoff?
5) Which Englishman shot 65 in the second round of the British Open to set a tournament record for lowest score by an amateur?
6) Who won the U.S. PGA Tour’s FedEx Cup by capturing the season-ending Tour Championship?
7) What player was runner-up to Rory McIlroy at the U.S. Open with a score of 8-under par, the lowest by a non-winner at the tournament?
8) Which 16 year old became the youngest golfer to win an LPGA Tournament by capturing the Navistar Classic in September?
9) Who captained Europe to a 15-13 victory over the U.S. at the Solheim Cup?
10) Who died this year, 17 years after shooting a 38-under par in his initial round at the opening of Pyongyang’s first golf course?
11) Which tournament did Tiger Woods win earlier this month for his first victory in over two years?
12) Who scored the clinching point to give the U.S. its fourth straight Presidents Cup golf title in November and which U.S. player won all five of his matches against the International team in Melbourne?
13) Joe LaCava quit as caddie for which golfer to work for Tiger Woods?
1) What Formula One driver was injured in February in an out-of-season crash during a driving rally in Italy?
2) Sebastian Vettel won 11 races this season. Who were the only other drivers to win more than one race?
3) Which was the only race Vettel failed to finish in the 2011 season?
4) McLaren’s Lewis Hamilton started from the pole at which race, the only time a Red Bull driver didn’t top qualifying?
5) Why did Vettel don a fake moustache at the season-ending Brazilian Grand Prix?
6) Which became the first Formula One team to sell shares on the stock exchange?
7) Who was the top-placed rookie in Formula 1?
8) Which sponsor-less F-1 team branded cars with ‘This Could Be You’ messages at the Monaco Grand Prix?
9) Who suggested ‘making rain’ during races to create suspense?
1) Which team allowed 13 tries in a match at this year’s World Cup?
2) Who became the oldest player to appear in a Rugby World Cup final?
3) What mark did All Blacks Richie McCaw and Mils Muliaina and Australia’s Nathan Sharpe reach during the world cup?
4) Which three New Zealand fly-halves suffered injuries during the World Cup, and who finished the tournament for the champion in that position?
5) What team defeated England to deny the nation its first Six Nations Grand Slam in 8 years?
6) Which World Cup-winning manager was hired to coach the ACT Brumbies?
7) Which player scored tries in the Super Rugby final and Tri-Nations decider to help the Queensland Reds and Australia win the respective titles?
8) England fly-half Jonny Wilkinson retired from international rugby in 2011. Against which countries did he play his first and last matches for the national team?
9) Who became the Rugby World Cup’s youngest try scorer at 19 years, 166 days old when he touched down for Wales against Namibia?
1) Which team clinched its first outright County Championship title since 1934?
2) A broken window cost caused which player to be reprimanded by the ICC in June?
3) Which team was crowned Indian Premier League champion for a second time?
4) Who were the two bowlers, a West Indian and a Sri Lankan, to claim hat-tricks at the World Cup?
5) Which player scored an unbeaten century in the World Cup final but finished on the losing team?
6) Who were England’s top three wicket takers in its 3-1 victory in the Ashes, and which of their teammates was named as man of the series?
7) Australia opening batsman Phillip Hughes was dismissed four times by the same combination of which New Zealand bowler and fielder in December’s 1-1 Test series draw between the teams?
8) Who set the record for the fastest century in the history of cricket’s World Cup?
9) Who was the top run-scorer at the 2011 Cricket World Cup and which two players finished with a competition-leading 21 wickets?
10) Whose record one-day international score did Virender Sehwag beat when he hit 219 against the West Indies?
1) Who ended Rafael Nadal’s quest for a fourth straight Grand Slam tennis title by defeating the Spaniard in the quarterfinals of the Australian Open?
2) What seven-time Grand Slam champion ended a comeback after losing in the third round of the Australian Open?
3) How many finals did Rafael Nadal lose to Novak Djokovic this year?
4) How long was Novak Djokovic’s win streak at the start of the 2011 season and which player’s record did he tie?
5) Which four women have won Grand Slam singles titles this year?
6) A 5-0 defeat to Germany in April relegated which nation from the top group of the Fed Cup for a first time?
7) Who was forced to apologize to journalists at the Australian Open after saying a scratch on her shin was inflicted by a lash from a baby kangaroo, instead of a treadmill as had been the case?
8) Which former finalist stopped the comeback of defending champion Serena Williams in the fourth round of Wimbledon?
9) Who did John Isner play in the first round of Wimbledon?
10) Venus Williams announced during the U.S. Open she has been diagnosed with which strength-sapping autoimmune disease?
11) In which city with Olympic aspirations did the women’s tour stage its year-end WTA Championships for the first time this year?
1) Which rider and trainer had their first successes in British horseracing’s Grand National this year?
2) Who benefitted from Usain Bolt’s disqualification to win the 100-meter title at the world athletics championships?
3) Patrick Makau set an athletics record at which distance in Berlin in September?
4) ‘The Executioner’ became the oldest ever person to do what in May?
5) Kelly Slater was prematurely named as world champion in which sport on Nov. 2 before finally securing a record-extending 11th title four days later?
6) In July this year which city was named as host of the 2018 Winter Olympics?
7) Who were the first three sportsmen to be jailed in the U.K. for cheating since 1964?
8) Who won the men’s and women’s singles titles at the World Figure-Skating Championship?
9) How did intern Tom Cowan shoot to public attention?
10) Who won the Boat Race?
11) Who twice overcame three-frame deficits to win his fourth World Snooker Championship?
12) The Green Bay Packers’ Super Bowl victory extended their record of NFL league titles to how many?
13) Which team defeated the Vancouver Canucks to win the National Hockey League’s Stanley Cup for the first time since 1972?
14) Which horse won the Kentucky Derby in his debut race on a dirt track?
15) Which player was selected by the Cleveland Cavaliers with the first pick in the National Basketball Association draft?
16) How many stages did Mark Cavendish win at this year’s Tour de France?
17) Who showed Dutch courage by riding the Tour de France with 33 stitches in his legs after being catapulted into a barbed-wire fence by a car?
18) Who veered off a mountain descent onto a garage driveway while leading the Tour de France?
19) Why did Alexandr Kolobnev stand out at the Tour de France?
20) Which U.S. swimmer won the most gold medals at the 2011 world swimming championships in Shanghai?
21) Which country produced the winner of the Melbourne Cup, Australia’s richest horse race, for the second straight year in November?
22) Former heavyweight champion Joe Frazier, who died in November, won the gold medal at which Olympic Games.
23) What injury did David Haye blame for his losing his World Boxing Association heavyweight title to Wladimir Klitschko?
24) Denman, which was retired Dec. 9 with a leg injury, finished runner-up at the Cheltenham Gold Cup the past three years behind which horses?
25) Who ended Lindsey Vonn’s three-year reign as women’s overall World Cup ski champion?