Bloomberg the Company & Products

Bloomberg Anywhere Login


Connecting decision makers to a dynamic network of information, people and ideas, Bloomberg quickly and accurately delivers business and financial information, news and insight around the world.


Financial Products

Enterprise Products


Customer Support

  • Americas

    +1 212 318 2000

  • Europe, Middle East, & Africa

    +44 20 7330 7500

  • Asia Pacific

    +65 6212 1000


Industry Products

Media Services

Follow Us

Crystal Palace Beats Manchester United 2-1 in Carling Cup

Crystal Palace Beats Manchester United 2-1 in Carling Cup
Crystal Palace's English midfielder Darren Ambrose (3R) celebrates after scoring during the League cup fifth round football match between Manchester United and Crystal Palace at Old Trafford in Manchester. Photographer: Andrew Yates/AFP/Getty Images

Dec. 1 (Bloomberg) -- Crystal Palace, which plays in England’s second-tier Championship, ousted four-time champion Manchester United 2-1 to reach the semifinals of soccer’s Carling Cup.

Glenn Murray headed in the winning goal in extra time yesterday at United’s Old Trafford stadium. Darren Ambrose had given Palace a 65th-minute lead, with Federico Macheda replying for the hosts from the penalty spot four minutes later.

“We thought if we came with a game plan that could be stuck to and everybody played eight, nine, 10 out of 10 we could do it,” Palace manager Dougie Freedman told Sky Sports. “To play at Old Trafford, we’re privileged. The lads learned a lot.”

Palace will play Cardiff City, also of the Championship, for a place in the final, while record seven-time winner Liverpool faces Manchester City.

United has exited in the quarterfinals for two straight seasons, following defeat to West Ham a year ago. Prior to that, it won the second-tier cup in 2009 and 2010.

The Red Devils are second in the elite Premier League, while Palace is 12th in the Championship and had failed to score in its past five matches.

Mame Biram Diouf had the host’s best chance in the first half when he volleyed over with an overhead kick. Wilfried Zaha fired over from close range for Palace.


Both teams suffered injury problems during the match. United’s fullbacks Fabio da Silva and his twin brother Rafael had to be replaced, while Sean Scannell and Dean Moxey came off for Palace.

United pushed for a goal early in the second half with Antonio Valencia firing a low shot just wide in the 52nd minute after stealing the ball from Anthony Gardner.

Ravel Morrison then had a shot saved by Palace goalkeeper Lewis Price before the visitors took the lead on 65 minutes.

Ambrose, who replaced Moxey at halftime, took possession 40 yards (36.6 meters) out and fired the ball past Ben Amos in the United goal.

United tied it within four minutes as Patrick McCarthy tugged Macheda’s jersey in the penalty area. Macheda scored from the spot-kick.

With no more goals in regulation play there were 30 minutes of extra time. Eight minutes in, Murray headed a free kick from Ambrose past Amos for the winning goal.

Two days ago, Liverpool beat Chelsea 2-0, Premier League leader Manchester City defeated Arsenal 1-0, and Cardiff City beat Blackburn 2-0.

To contact the reporter on this story: James Cone in London at

To contact the editors responsible for this story: Christopher Elser at

Please upgrade your Browser

Your browser is out-of-date. Please download one of these excellent browsers:

Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera or Internet Explorer.