Nov. 25 (Bloomberg) -- Australia will be without five injured players for next week’s series-opening cricket Test against New Zealand in Brisbane.
Vice-captain Shane Watson (hamstring), Shaun Marsh (back), Mitchell Johnson (foot), Ryan Harris (pelvis) and teenage fast bowler Pat Cummins (heel), haven’t recovered from injuries sustained during this month’s drawn series in South Africa, Cricket Australia said. Selectors are scheduled to name the squad tomorrow. The first Test starts Dec. 1.
The five injured players will be further assessed next week, Australia team physiotherapist Alex Kountouris said. The second Test in Hobart begins Dec. 9.
Cummins, 18, made a man-of-the-match Test debut in Johannesburg last week, hitting the winning runs after taking six wickets for 79 in the second innings, as Australia clinched a series-tying victory by two wickets.
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Dan Baynes at email@example.com