News Corp.’s U.K. unit said it conducted surveillance of two lawyers representing victims of alleged phone hacking by the company.
News International said it monitored lawyers Mark Lewis and Charlotte Harris, an act the company called “deeply inappropriate in these circumstances,” according to its statement today.
The company is being investigated for potential hacking of thousands of people’s phones by its News of the World tabloid, which was shuttered in July as the scandal expanded. The Guardian newspaper reported earlier that News International had hired private investigators within the past 18 months to secretly videotape Lewis and Harris and their family members.
“News International’s enquiries have led the company to believe that Mark Lewis and Charlotte Harris were subject to surveillance,” the company said. “This action was not condoned by any current executive at the company.”
News Corp.’s Deputy Chief Operating Officer James Murdoch, 38, who was in charge of the company’s European operations, has been re-called to a U.K. government committee hearing on Nov. 10 to answer questions about how much he knew about the extent of hacking at its U.K. newspapers.