Manchester City Beats Wolves 5-2 in Carling Cup; Chelsea Wins

Manchester City won 5-2 at Wolverhampton Wanderers to reach the quarterfinals of English soccer’s Carling Cup, while Chelsea beat Everton 2-1 after extra time.

City rallied with three strikes late in the first half at Molineux after Nenad Milijas’s 18th minute goal put Wolves ahead of the Premier League leader. Chelsea overcame a missed penalty and a red card for goalkeeper Ross Turnbull to advance.

“The first 20 minutes were shaky but once we got the ball down and passing and moving and the second goal, it was virtually over,” City winger Adam Johnson told Sky Sports.

Liverpool defeated Stoke City 2-1, while Blackburn beat Newcastle 4-3 after extra time.

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini changed his entire starting lineup from the 6-1 win at Manchester United on Oct. 23 that had extended the club’s league lead to five points.

Wolves had most of the attacking play in the early stages and went ahead as Milijas, who scored in both league games against City last season, turned and fired past goalkeeper Costel Pantilimon from 15 yards.

City started to create more chances and tied the game on 36 minutes with a left-foot shot from the edge of the area by Johnson. He set up Sami Nasri two minutes later and then Edin Dzeko scored soon after.

A Dorus De Vries own goal and Dzeko’s second strike extended City’s advantage before Wolves substitute Jamie O’Hara scored almost immediately after coming onto the field.

At Goodison Park, Nicolas Anelka should have put the visitor ahead after 16 minutes but shot wide from a spot-kick. Chelsea did, though, lead at halftime on a goal from Salomon Kalou.

Goalkeeper Turnbull was sent off in the second half and Louis Saha scored late on to force extra time. Everton’s Royston Drenthe was dismissed for two yellow cards in the additional period and Chelsea took advantage with a goal from Daniel Sturridge.

Liverpool rallied with two second-half goals from top-scorer Luis Suarez to inflict Stoke’s first home defeat of the season at the Britannia Stadium. Kenwyne Jones had headed Stoke into the lead a minute before halftime.

Liverpool, the record seven-time champion, is aiming to win the competition for a first time since 2003.

Blackburn appeared to be heading for a comfortable win in regulation play at Ewood Park after goals from Ruben Rochina and Aiyegbeni Yakubu. However, Newcastle scored twice in injury time through Danny Guthrie and Yohan Cabaye.

The home team re-established its lead as Morten Gamst Pedersen got the first goal of extra time, but a penalty kick from Peter Lovenkrands brought Newcastle level again. Gael Givet settled the match to put Blackburn in the next round.

Manchester United, Arsenal, Crystal Palace and Cardiff City secured their quarterfinal spots two days ago.

The draw is on Oct. 29, with the matches played the week of Nov. 28.

Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal. LEARN MORE