Sept. 12 (Bloomberg) -- Uganda begins the trial today of 19 suspects linked to last year’s twin bombings in which 76 people were killed while they were watching the final of soccer’s World Cup, the New Vision reported, citing the police.
Access to the trial at the International Crime Division of the High Court will be restricted, the Kampala-based newspaper said, citing Judith Nabakooba, the spokesman for the Uganda police. Most of the suspects are foreign, it said.
The Somalia-based al-Shabaab group, which has pledged allegiance to al-Qaeda, claimed responsibility of the bombings.
To contact the reporter on this story: Fred Ojambo in Kampala at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Paul Richardson at email@example.com.