Aug. 22 (Bloomberg) -- Australia winger James O’Connor will miss this weekend’s Tri-Nations rugby decider against New Zealand after getting a one-game ban for missing two team functions last week.
The Australian Rugby Union said it suspended O’Connor until Aug. 28 for failing to attend the Wallabies’ official World Cup photo shoot on Aug. 18 and the squad announcement later the same day. O’Connor, 21, was asked to provide the Sydney-based governing body with an explanation as to his non-attendance.
“A response was received earlier today and considered, after which a decision was taken to suspend and fine O’Connor for his indiscretion,” the ARU said in an e-mailed statement.
O’Connor was given a suspended fine of A$10,000 ($10,425), which will remain in place until Dec. 31, 2012, the ARU added.
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Dan Baynes at email@example.com