Bloomberg Anywhere Remote Login Bloomberg Terminal Request a Demo


Connecting decision makers to a dynamic network of information, people and ideas, Bloomberg quickly and accurately delivers business and financial information, news and insight around the world.


Financial Products

Enterprise Products


Customer Support

  • Americas

    +1 212 318 2000

  • Europe, Middle East, & Africa

    +44 20 7330 7500

  • Asia Pacific

    +65 6212 1000


Industry Products

Media Services

Follow Us

Former New York Giants Player Plaxico Burress Leaves Prison

Plaxico Burress of the New York Giants, left, makes a first down. Photographer: Andy Manis/Bloomberg
Plaxico Burress of the New York Giants, left, makes a first down. Photographer: Andy Manis/Bloomberg

June 6 (Bloomberg) -- Plaxico Burress was released from prison today after serving 20 months for accidentally shooting himself in the leg at a Manhattan nightclub.

The former New York Giants wide receiver was sentenced to two years in jail after he pleaded guilty Aug. 20, 2009, to a state charge of attempted possession of a weapon. He was released early from the medium-security Oneida Correctional Facility in Rome, New York, for good behavior and will spend two years under supervision.

Burress’s release from Oneida was reported on the New York Department of Correctional Services’ website.

Burress’s agent, Drew Rosenhaus, told the Associated Press that several clubs have expressed interest in his client. While Burress, 33, is eligible to return to the National Football League, the lockout prevents teams from signing him.

“Many teams want him,” Rosenhaus said in an e-mail to the AP, without being specific. “He will be a top free agent. He is healthy and ready to go. He will be signed shortly after the lockout ends.”

The NFL locked out players in March after talks on how to split $9 billion of league revenue ended without an agreement. During a lockout, teams can’t contact players and trades are prohibited.

Burress carried a Glock semiautomatic pistol in the waistband of his jeans and shot himself Nov. 28, 2008, in the Latin Quarter club in Manhattan. The bullet went through his leg and just missed a security guard, prosecutors said.

He was released by the Giants on April 3, 2009, seven months after he signed a five-year, $35 million extension. Later that month, Burress won a grievance compelling the Giants to pay him a $1 million bonus they withheld after he shot himself.

Burress led the Giants with 70 catches for 1,025 yards during the 2007-08 season, playing most games with an ankle injury. He ended that season by catching a 13-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Eli Manning in the final 35 seconds of the Super Bowl to give the Giants a 17-14 victory over the New England Patriots on Feb. 3, 2008.

To contact the reporters on this story: Dex McLuskey in Dallas at; Nancy Kercheval in Washington at

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Michael Sillup at

Please upgrade your Browser

Your browser is out-of-date. Please download one of these excellent browsers:

Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera or Internet Explorer.