Three-time Tour de France winner Alberto Contador will be free to take part in this year’s race after sport’s top court delayed a hearing into a drug case.
The matter will now be heard Aug. 1-3, the Court of Arbitration for Sport said on its website. The court said last week it was postponing scheduled for next week to allow witnesses and experts to take part. The Tour runs from July 2-24.
Cycling’s ruling body is challenging a decision to the Spaniard of doping at last year’s race. The Union Cycliste Internationale is appealing to the CAS in Lausanne, Switzerland, after “an in-depth study” of the judgment made by the Spanish cycling federation. Initially, he faced a one-year ban.
Contador blames eating contaminated beef for testing positive for the stimulant clenbuterol.
Tests last year found he had 50 picograms per milliliter of clenbuterol in his body on the last rest day of the 2010 Tour. A picogram is one trillionth of a gram.
Clenbuterol is used to treat respiratory disorders such as asthma and can increase aerobic capacity by improving the flow of oxygen in the bloodstream. Farmers sometimes use it illegally to bulk up cattle more quickly.
Last weekend Contador won the Giro d’Italia, one of the top three stage-races, for the second time.