Three explosions in Fuzhou in southeastern China’s Jiangxi province killed two people today, including the suspected bomber, and injured 10, Xinhua News agency said.
The first explosion was in a parking lot at a prosecutors’ office, according to a website run by the local propaganda bureau. Another took place inside an administration building and the third near a food and drug administration office. The blasts took place between 9:18 a.m. and 9:45 a.m. local time.
Most of the windows of the prosecutors’ office were shattered, a Volkswagen AG Santana sedan was destroyed and at least 10 more vehicles damaged, Xinhua said, citing an unidentified witness.
Qian Mingqi, a 52-year-old unemployed resident of the city’s Linchuan district who died in the blasts, is the suspected bomber, Xinhua said, citing unidentified local security officials. Qian was involved in a house-demolition dispute and may have been seeking revenge against the local government, Xinhua said, citing an unidentified Linchuan district official.
Qian left a message on his http://www.sina.com.cn microblog, saying he was forced to “step on a road I don’t want to step on” because of the loss of his newly built house, which was “illegally demolished,” according to Xinhua.
The number of so-called mass incidents in China -- strikes, protests and riots -- is on the rise as income gaps widen. Sun Liping, a professor of sociology at Beijing’s Tsinghua University, said in a Feb. 25 article in the Economic Observer that the number of mass incidents in China doubled from 2006, rising to at least 180,000 cases in 2010.
Earlier this week, hundreds of ethnic Mongolians in northern China’s Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region protested outside a local government building after a herder was reportedly hit and killed by a coal-mining truck driving across grazing land, according to the U.S.-based Southern Mongolian Human Rights Information Center.
A former employee of a rural bank in an autonomous Tibetan region of northwestern Gansu Province threw a gasoline bomb into his former workplace two weeks ago, injuring more than 40 people, the local government said at the time.