Ex-IMF Chief Strauss-Kahn Moves to Manhattan Home to Await Trial

Strauss-Kahn Moves After New York Judge Told of Agreement
Dominique Strauss-Kahn, former managing director of the International Monetary Fund (IMF), leaves 71 Broadway in New York, on May 25, 2011. Photographer: Michael Nagle/Getty Images

Dominique Strauss-Kahn, the former International Monetary Fund chief, moved into a new Manhattan building, where he will be confined under guard while awaiting trial on charges of attempted rape and sexual assault.

Strauss-Kahn relocated to a building at 153 Franklin St. in Manhattan’s Tribeca neighborhood, police said.

Two police officers stood in front of the three-story, red-brick building yesterday. Nearby, a neighbor sprayed reporters with a hose in an effort to keep them off his property.

State Supreme Court Justice Michael Obus was informed of the new location yesterday by defense lawyers and prosecutors, said David Bookstaver, a spokesman for the Office of Court Administration. Strauss-Kahn was arrested on May 14 and released from New York’s Rikers Island jail complex on May 20.

“The judge received a phone call from the parties and they’ve agreed on a new location,” Bookstaver said in a phone interview.

Strauss-Kahn, 62, is out on $1 million cash bail and under armed guard. He was staying in an apartment at 71 Broadway in Lower Manhattan. That apartment was chosen as a temporary home after arrangements at an Upper East Side address fell through because of overwhelming media interest in his case.

Roof Deck, Parking

According to a sales listing for the 153 Franklin St. building on the StreetEasy real estate website, the property is a 6,804-square-foot townhouse. The four-bedroom unit, which was on the market for almost $14 million, includes a roof deck and garage, according to the listing. Photos of the property on another website show a renovated, modern interior.

Strauss-Kahn is accused of forcibly trying to have intercourse with a maid at the Sofitel hotel in Midtown Manhattan, and of making her have oral sex with him. Strauss-Kahn plans to plead not guilty, his lawyers have said.

To secure his release, Strauss-Kahn also posted a $5 million bond and agreed to wear an electronic tracking bracelet. He will now be able to leave his residence -- escorted and after giving notice -- for legal, medical and religious purposes.

Erin Duggan, chief spokeswoman for Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr., declined to comment on the new housing yesterday. Ed Stroz, co-president of Stroz Friedberg LLC, the company supervising Strauss-Kahn’s home detention, also declined to comment.

William Taylor, a Strauss-Kahn lawyer, didn’t return a call seeking comment. Benjamin Brafman, another Strauss-Kahn lawyer, didn’t immediately return an e-mail seeking comment.

Prosecutors had argued against bail, saying Strauss-Kahn, a French national, was a flight risk. He was taken into custody aboard an Air France flight at John F. Kennedy International Airport minutes before it was due to depart. The defense said that the plane trip was planned ahead of time and that their client would waive extradition.

The case is People v. Strauss-Kahn, 1225782, Criminal Court of the City of New York (New York County).

Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal. LEARN MORE