Suspect in Assault on Giants’ Fan Is Booked After Arrest

A suspect in the March 31 assault on a San Francisco Giants fan at Dodger Stadium has been taken into custody by Los Angeles police.

Giovanni Ramirez, 31, of Los Angeles was booked for assault with a deadly weapon and is being held on $1 million bail, the Los Angeles Police Department said last night. He’s believed to be the “main aggressor” in the attack that left Bryan Stow, 42, in a medically induced coma with a fractured skull and brain damage, LAPD Chief of Police Charlie Beck said at an earlier news conference.

Detectives got a tip last week from a “law-enforcement source” that accelerated the investigation, the LAPD said in an e-mailed statement. The suspect was taken into custody yesterday morning after police executed two search warrants at an apartment building and a home in the Rampart area of Los Angeles, police said.

Several other people were detained for questioning and “evidence was seized”, police said, without being specific.

The Giants said the arrest was “welcome news.”

“We commend the Los Angeles Police Department for their hard work and we are confident that they will continue to dedicate themselves until all of those responsible for this senseless act of violence have been brought to justice,” the Major League Baseball team said in a statement.

Stow was leaving Dodger Stadium with several friends following San Francisco’s 2-1 loss to Los Angeles when the two suspects, who were both wearing Dodgers attire, began taunting Stow and his friends, who wore Giants gear.

Stow was hit from behind as he walked away and fell to the ground, where the suspects kicked him, police said. The suspects also hit Stow’s friends when they attempted to intervene. The suspects were last seen being driven from the stadium by a woman in a light or white four-door sedan.

“Both the woman and the second suspect involved in the attack on Stow are still at large,” police said in the statement. “Detectives are asking the public to continue to provide any information that could lead to their arrest.”

Stow was transferred from Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center to San Francisco General Hospital, where he remains in a critical condition, doctors said last week.

Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal. LEARN MORE