May 17 (Bloomberg) -- The International Tribunal for Rwanda found two former military chiefs guilty of crimes in connection with the 1994 genocide in which 800,000 ethnic Tutsis and sympathetic Hutus were massacred in 100 days.
Former chief of staff of the Rwandan Army, Augustin Bizimungu, accused of helping to plan and execute the genocide in the early 1990s, was sentenced to 30 years in prison by the Arusha, Tanzania-based court today.
Augustin Ndindiliyimana, former head of the Gendarmerie Nationale, a military force in charge of public safety, was sentenced to 11 years in prison for genocide, according to the ruling. He was released immediately because his time had already been served, the Rwandan government said.
“The question is whether, in fact, there was any mitigating factors for which the convicts escaped the highest sentence,” Rwanda’s chief prosecutor, Martin Ngoga, said in a mobile-phone text message to reporters from the Rwandan capital, Kigali. “Ndindiliyimana’s short prison term is one case where the tribunal, as in past occasions, doesn’t meet the expectations and anticipations of the many on the ground.”
To contact the reporter on this story: Heather Murdock in Kigali at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Antony Sguazzin at email@example.com