Bloomberg Anywhere Remote Login Bloomberg Terminal Demo Request


Connecting decision makers to a dynamic network of information, people and ideas, Bloomberg quickly and accurately delivers business and financial information, news and insight around the world.


Financial Products

Enterprise Products


Customer Support

  • Americas

    +1 212 318 2000

  • Europe, Middle East, & Africa

    +44 20 7330 7500

  • Asia Pacific

    +65 6212 1000


Industry Products

Media Services

Follow Us

Bloomberg Customers

Manchester City Wins English F.A. Cup for First Time Since 1969

Manchester City beat Stoke City 1-0 to win English soccer’s F.A. Cup for the first time in 42 years.

Yaya Toure scored the only goal at London’s Wembley Stadium as City captured its first trophy since winning the English League Cup in 1976. Today’s victory comes four days after it beat Tottenham 1-0 to secure a place in next season’s Champions League for the first time.

“It’s fantastic to win, it’s fantastic for the history of the club,” Toure, who scored in the 1-0 win over Manchester United in the semifinals, told ITV. “We wanted to win something and get through to the Champions League. It’s amazing.”

City has spent more than 350 million pounds ($567 million) to strengthen its squad since being bought by Abu Dhabi’s Sheikh Mansour in 2008.

“We’ve laid down the first brick and now we can build a house on it,” City’s Vincent Kompany told ESPN.

City had the majority of possession in the first half but was unable to beat Stoke goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen, who stopped an fifth-minute attempt from captain Carlos Tevez. Toure then sent a shot just wide of the post and Sorensen blocked an effort from Mario Balotelli.

City’s best chance came 10 minutes before halftime as Sorensen cleared a ball toward David Silva, who hit the ball into the ground to bounce over the open goal.

Off Line

Tevez chased down a long ball 10 minutes into the second half and passed to Silva, who was running alone toward the middle of the box. Silva tried to bring the ball back to his left foot and was stopped without getting a shot away.

Stoke’s Kenwyne Jones was sent clear in the 61st minute but City goalkeeper Joe Hart came off his line to block the attempt.

City finally broke through in the 74th minute as the ball bounced around the Stoke area before falling to Toure, who blasted a left-footed blasted from near the penalty spot past Sorensen. City then held on down the stretch as Stoke pressured but was unable to get a good shot off.

“I can only say that I’m very happy for all the supporters,” City manager Roberto Mancini told ITV. “After many years they deserve to win this trophy.”

The loss ended a strong run for Stoke, which was playing in its first F.A. Cup final.

“They played the best stuff on the day,” Sorensen told ITV. “It’s disappointing that we didn’t play better.”

Please upgrade your Browser

Your browser is out-of-date. Please download one of these excellent browsers:

Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera or Internet Explorer.