Egypt’s public prosecutor extended the detention of former President Hosni Mubarak for 15 days as part of investigations into allegations that his administration was involved in corruption and attacks on protesters.
Investigators questioned Mubarak today at the Sharm El-Sheikh hospital where he is being treated while under detention, the prosecutor’s office said today in a statement. The former leader was hospitalized for a possible heart attack last month while investigators were interviewing him.
Mubarak’s detention was initially ordered for 15 days on April 13 by the prosecutor’s office and was renewed for another 15 days on April 22. The prosecution of Mubarak was among the main demands of protesters whose revolt prompted him to cede power to the military on Feb. 11.
Prosecutors on April 22 quizzed Mubarak about attacks on demonstrators during the uprising that ended his three-decade rule and about a deal to export gas to Israel. Mubarak and his two sons, also in detention, were summoned for questioning about alleged embezzlement of public funds and attacks on protesters, the prosecutor said on April 10.