CBS Corp. and Katie Couric have ended discussions for a syndicated talk show that would keep her at the media company after she steps down as evening news anchor, people with knowledge of the situation said.
It remains possible that talks could resume before Couric’s contract ends in June, said one of the people, who wasn’t authorized to discuss the matter because it is private. A limited role for Couric with “60 Minutes” or “CBS Sunday Morning” is still possible, the person said.
Couric, who has been CBS’s anchor for five years, is in discussions with Walt Disney Co.’s ABC about a daytime talk show, people familiar with the matter said last week. She would also have a role covering elections and appear on prime-time specials, said one of the people. Couric told People magazine on April 26 that she would leave her post as anchor.
“Katie has not made a decision about her future,” said Matthew Hiltzik, Couric’s outside public relations representative. David Ford, an ABC spokesman, declined to comment, as did Sonya McNair, a spokeswoman for CBS News.
CBS has named “60 Minutes" correspondent Scott Pelley today to succeed Couric. The end of talks with CBS was reported yesterday by TV Guide. Today, the website TMZ reported that Couric was near a $20 million deal with ABC.
Couric, 54, the former ‘‘Today’’ show host, receives $13 million to $15 million a year under a five-year deal with CBS that started in 2006, people familiar with the matter said at the time.
CBS, based in New York, fell 38 cents to $26.83 at 11:23 a.m. in New York Stock Exchange composite trading. The shares have added 43 percent this year before today. Disney gained 2 cents to $42.64 and had climbed 14 percent year-to-date.