April 26 (Bloomberg) -- The following is a roundup of soccer stories from U.K. newspapers, with clickable links to the Web.
Chelsea is planning to make a 40 million-pound ($66 million) offer for Tottenham’s Gareth Bale, the Daily Mirror reported.
The Blues could boost their chances of landing the winger by hurting Tottenham’s hopes of qualifying for the Champions League when the two sides meet next weekend, according to the Mirror.
Chelsea also wants to recruit Ajax right-back Gregory van der Wiel and a “big-name” central midfielder, the newspaper added.
Manchester City owner Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al Nahyan will curb transfer spending to the lowest amount since his 2008 takeover when the transfer window reopens, the Daily Telegraph reported.
City’s recruitment will be financed by the likely sales of Carlos Tevez, Emmanuel Adebayor, Shay Given, Wayne Bridge, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Roque Santa Cruz and Jo, which should generate 70 million pounds, the newspaper said.
The belt-tightening has been forced on the team by new rules on finances being brought in by European soccer’s governing body, the Telegraph said. The newspaper said Manchester City spent more than 125 million pounds in consecutive off-season transfer windows in 2009 and 2010.
Wolves captain Karl Henry is predicting tonight’s game with Stoke City will be an “ugly match,” the Daily Mail reported.
Wolves are battling relegation from the Premier League and Henry said the team will fight to secure three points against the F.A. Cup finalists, according to the Mail.
“I’m sure it’s going to be a really dirty game,” the newspaper quoted Henry saying. “It’s going to be an ugly, dirty match. Both teams will be kicking lumps out of each other. But you won’t find us complaining.”
Abuse from supporters of his own team forced Manchester United midfielder Darron Gibson to quit Twitter within two hours of joining the social media website, the Mail reported.
The Irish midfielder’s “DGibbo28” account disappeared after United fans “flooded it with abuse,” the newspaper said.
Arsenal will strengthen its team in an effort to snap a six-season run without a trophy, the Mirror said.
Defeat at Bolton two days ago has left the Gunners nine points behind Premier League leader Manchester United with four matches left. Its efforts to win a first league title since 2004 had been dented with six draws in nine matches prior to the defeat at the Reebok Stadium.
“We have to strengthen the squad where it needs and make the right decision on that front,” coach Arsene Wenger was quoted as saying by the newspaper. “It is always in my mind every day.”
To contact the reporter on this story: Tariq Panja in London at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Chris Elser at email@example.com