April 12 (Bloomberg) -- The following is a roundup of soccer stories from U.K. newspapers, with clickable links to the Web.
Manchester City has joined Chelsea, Inter Milan and Manchester United in targeting 50 million-euro ($72 million) Udinese striker Alexis Sanchez, the Telegraph said.
The 22-year-old, who played in last year’s World Cup with Chile, had positive discussions with City last weekend, and Udinese is resigned to losing him to the Premier League club, the newspaper said.
Sanchez would replace Mario Balotelli, should City be willing to lose as much as 24 million pounds ($39 million) selling the unsettled player back to an Italian club, the newspaper said.
City is ready to sign AC Milan midfielder Clarence Seedorf when his contract ends after this season, the Daily Mail said.
Enrique to Reds
Newcastle defender Jose Enrique may follow striker Andy Carroll to Liverpool in a 15 million-pound trade, the Daily Mail said.
Former Liverpool player Phil Thompson, who’s friendly with Reds coach Kenny Dalglish, said he believed the player had already agreed to the move, the newspaper said.
Arsenal’s Robin van Persie and Abou Diaby had to be separated during the break of last weekend’s win at Blackpool because the Dutch forward was angry the midfielder got booked for kicking the ball away, the Mirror said.
Van Persie was still angry that Diaby was sent off at Newcastle earlier in the season, when the Gunners blew a four-goal lead, the newspaper said.
Chelsea coach Carlo Ancelotti says he’s not afraid of being fired if the Blues fail to win the Champions League this season, the Guardian said.
The Blues, trailing 1-0, play at Manchester United tonight in the quarterfinals. The Italian said he feels “excitement” about the end of the season and wants to finish the last 12 months of his contract, the newspaper said.
Tottenham goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes is worried players may leave it fails to finish fourth and qualify for the Champions League next season, the Mirror said.
Spurs host Real Madrid tomorrow, after a 4-0 defeat in the first game of the two-match Champions League quarterfinal. Gomes said he’s concerned Gareth Bale and Rafael van der Vaart could seek a transfer, the newspaper said.
To contact the reporter on this story: Christopher Elser at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Christopher Elser at email@example.com.