Producers of Broadway’s much-delayed $70 million “Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark” are in talks to replace its high-profile choreographer, Daniel Ezralow, two people familiar with the situation said.
Ezralow is likely to be replaced by Chase Brock, a Brooklyn dance maker in his late twenties, said the two people, who asked not to be identified because they are not authorized by the producers to discuss changes in the show.
In February, Brock choreographed the Encores! revival of “Lost in the Stars” at New York City Center. His last Broadway credit was as assistant to choreographer Kathleen Marshall in the 2003 revival of “Wonderful Town.”
Ezralow, 54, created the mid-air battles that have been the troubled musical’s most uniformly praised element. He had worked with Julie Taymor, the director and co-author of “Spider-Man” on her 2007 Beatles-inspired film “Across the Universe.” He worked with Taymor in 2000 on “The Green Bird” on Broadway.
In an effort to salvage the show in the wake of scathing reviews, the producers fired Taymor earlier this month and replaced her with Philip William McKinley.
A former principal with the Paul Taylor Dance Company, Ezralow staged shows for David Bowie, Sting and U2, whose principal songwriters, Bono and The Edge, wrote the music for “Spider-Man.”
‘Never Coming Back’
“We knew that guy was never coming back,” said a principal in the cast, referring to Ezralow. This person, speaking anonymously because cast members are not authorized to discuss the changes, said that Ezralow “was a Julie person.”
Ezralow’s expected replacement danced on Broadway as a teenager in a revival of “The Music Man” and recently was involved with a Nintendo video game called “Dance on Broadway,” with numbers created by his company, the Chase Brock Experience.
“Spider-Man,” nine years in the marking, has pushed its opening night back to June 14. Previews began on Nov. 28.
Brock did not return an e-mail sent to his Facebook account. Ellen Jacobs, a spokeswoman representing both Brock and Ezralow, didn’t return an e-mail.
Rick Miramontez, a spokesman for “Spider-Man,” said “there have been no more additions to the creative team.”