Bloomberg the Company & Products

Bloomberg Anywhere Login


Connecting decision makers to a dynamic network of information, people and ideas, Bloomberg quickly and accurately delivers business and financial information, news and insight around the world.


Financial Products

Enterprise Products


Customer Support

  • Americas

    +1 212 318 2000

  • Europe, Middle East, & Africa

    +44 20 7330 7500

  • Asia Pacific

    +65 6212 1000


Industry Products

Media Services

Follow Us

Two U.S. Marshals Shot in St. Louis While Serving Warrant

Don't Miss Out —
Follow us on:

March 8 (Bloomberg) -- Two U.S. marshals and a police officer were hit by gunfire while trying to serve an arrest warrant at a St. Louis home, the latest attack on federal law enforcement officials, authorities said.

During the gunfight today, law enforcement officers fired on the suspect, Carlos Boles, 35, who was killed, said Dave Oney, a spokesman for the Marshals Service in Washington.

One marshal, who suffered a gunshot wound to his head, was in critical condition, said Laura Keller, a spokeswoman for St. Louis University Hospital. The other marshal, who had a gunshot wound to his ankle, was in fair condition after surgery, she said.

The police officer was grazed by a bullet on the face and neck and was treated at Barnes-Jewish Hospital in St. Louis and released, according to a statement from Erica Van Ross, a spokeswoman for the St. Louis police.

The incident followed others involving federal agents in recent weeks. In February, a marshal trying to serve an arrest warrant in West Virginia was killed. Also last month, a special agent with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement was killed while working in Mexico.

The St. Louis incident began when two police officers and eight marshals arrived at the house to take Boles into custody, according to the police department’s statement. They were trying to serve a warrant for assault on a law enforcement officer, drug possession and resisting arrest.

When the law enforcement officers found Boles on the second floor of the home, he began shooting, prompting the officers to return fire, according to the police statement. After an exchange of gunfire, authorities shot and killed Boles, the statement said.

Authorities didn’t release the names of the law enforcement officers involved in the shooting.

To contact the reporter on this story: Justin Blum in Washington at

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Mark Silva at

Please upgrade your Browser

Your browser is out-of-date. Please download one of these excellent browsers:

Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera or Internet Explorer.