Dec. 7 (Bloomberg) -- Guinea reduced the hours of a night-time curfew and partially opened the country’s borders as the world’s biggest bauxite exporter emerges from post-election violence.
Prime Minister Jean Marie Dore said the curfew, which ran from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m., will now be in effect starting from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. The maritime borders were reopened, though land borders “remain closed,” he said on state-owned Radio Television Guineenne late yesterday.
The easing comes three weeks after interim President General Sekouba Konate placed the country under a state of emergency, following clashes between supports of rival politicians and state security forces after the results of a Nov. 7 presidential election were announced.
The West African nation’s Supreme Court confirmed Alpha Conde as the winner and new president on Dec. 3. His election rival Cellou Dalein Diallo said he accepted the court’s decision.
Conde plans to form a Truth and Reconciliation Commission to “address grievances that have occurred since the administration of first president Sekou Toure in 1958,” Sebastian Spio-Garbrah, chief analyst with DaMina Advisors in New York, said in an e-mailed note yesterday.
Last month’s election was the first transfer of power in Guinea since it attained independence from colonial ruler France. The military has led the country since a coup in December 2008, just after the death of President Lansana Conte, who ruled for 24 years.
To contact the reporter on this story: Ougna Camara in Conakry via Accra at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Antony Sguazzin at email@example.com.