Bloomberg Anywhere Remote Login Bloomberg Terminal Demo Request


Connecting decision makers to a dynamic network of information, people and ideas, Bloomberg quickly and accurately delivers business and financial information, news and insight around the world.


Financial Products

Enterprise Products


Customer Support

  • Americas

    +1 212 318 2000

  • Europe, Middle East, & Africa

    +44 20 7330 7500

  • Asia Pacific

    +65 6212 1000


Industry Products

Media Services

Follow Us

Santa Cruz and Tevez May Leave Manchester City: Soccer Roundup

The following is a roundup of soccer stories from European newspapers, with clickable links to the Web.

Homesick Tevez?

Manchester City may lose both Carlos Tevez and Roque Santa Cruz, the Guardian reported.

“He wants to be among his people, who are in Argentina,” the paper quoted Santa Cruz as saying on Spanish radio about Tevez.

Tevez, whose contract expires in 2014, recently said he is not “enjoying the life of a footballer,” in England. His siblings and daughters all live in his native Argentina.

Santa Cruz wants to leave Manchester City during the January transfer window because he’s not getting enough playing time under manager Roberto Mancini.

City may receive an offer for Santa Cruz from Fulham, the Daily Mail reported.

Wayne ‘Was Never Going to Leave’

Wayne Rooney said he “was never going to leave Manchester United,” after an angry fan confronted the England player in a hotel in Dubai, the Sun reported.

The striker and his wife in Dubai on a holiday after Rooney last week signed a new five-year contract, two days after he said he wanted to leave the 18-time English soccer champion.

Ferguson Ties in O’Shea

United manager Alex Ferguson has offered defender John O’Shea a contract worth 16.5 million pounds ($26 million), the Sun said.

The offer is part of Ferguson’s strategy to make the club’s top players commit to the club. Defender Patrice Evra and midfielder Anderson have all been offered new deals.

No Spending Spree at Liverpool

Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson won’t be targeting any big-name signings during the January transfer window because the club’s new owner wants to rein in spending, the Daily Telegraph reported.

New England Sports Ventures LLC, the owners of the Boston Red Sox, bought the team on Oct. 15 for 300 million pounds after a forced sale by its previous owners, Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

Former Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez spent 230 million pounds on new players over six years. The new owners want to put more emphasis on a scouting system and buying cheaper players instead of signing expensive stars, the paper said.

Please upgrade your Browser

Your browser is out-of-date. Please download one of these excellent browsers:

Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera or Internet Explorer.