Arsenal Wins 2-1 as West Brom Ties Man United in Premier League

Arsenal beat Birmingham 2-1 to end a three-match winless run in English soccer’s Premier League, while West Brom rallied from two-goals down to tie 2-2 at Manchester United.

Bolton and Tottenham also won 2-1, Newcastle fought back for a 2-2 draw with Wigan and Wolverhampton and West Ham tied 1-1 in a bottom-of-the-table clash.

Maraoune Chamakh’s early second half goal gave Arsenal the home win which move’s the Gunners into second place on goal difference ahead of Manchester United, Manchester City and Tottenham, who all have 14 points, four fewer than leader Chelsea, which visits Aston Villa in the day’s late game.

Nikola Zigic gave Birmingham the lead with a 33rd-minute header and Samir Nasri tied the score four minutes before halftime with a penalty kick after referee Martin Atkinson ruled Scott Dann took Chamakh down.

Chamakh put Arsenal in front two minutes into the second half when he got the ball after a poor challenge from Stephen Carr and slid it into the net after going around goalkeeper Ben Foster. Arsenal’s Jack Wilshere received a red card in injury time for a tackle on Zigic.

West Brom got two fortuitous goals early in the second half to tie Manchester United at Old Trafford. Javier Hernandez put the hosts ahead after just five minutes and Nani doubled the lead 20 minutes later.

Injury Time

But West Brom pulled one back in the 50th minute when Chris Brunt’s free-kick took a deflection that went in off defender Patrice Evra. Five minutes later United goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar dropped a cross from Brunt and Somen Tchoyi was there to tap the ball into the empty net.

Ivan Klasnic’s goal in injury time gave Bolton its first home win of the season, though Klasnic was sent off moments later for a second yellow card. Chung-Yong Lee had given Bolton the lead in the 22nd minute before Rory Delap tied the score for Stoke just after halftime.

Tom Huddlestone winning goal for Tottenham proved controversial. He shot from about 25 yards into the corner of the net in the 63rd minute, but the assistant referee raised his flag to signal Spurs’ William Gallas in an offside position. Referee Mike Dean, however, let the goal stand after conferring with the official.

Diomansy Kamara had scored for Fulham in the 30th minute, only for Tottenham’s Roman Pavlyuchenko to respond a minute later.

Fabricio Coloccini netted in injury time to give Newcastle the home draw with Wigan.

Former Newcastle striker Charles N’Zogbia scored twice in a minute in the first half to give Wigan a 2-0 lead. Shola Ameobi scored for the Magpies in the 72nd minute, setting the stage for Coloccini’s game-tying header.

Mark Noble’s second-half penalty kick earned West Ham a point at Wolves, which got a goal from Matt Jarvis. The victory left the two at the foot of the standings with six points, the same as Everton and Liverpool, who meet tomorrow in the Merseyside derby.

Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal. LEARN MORE