Sept. 14 (Bloomberg) -- Three men who suspect their mobile phones were hacked by reporters at Rupert Murdoch’s News of the World newspaper are suing U.K. police, alleging they didn’t properly investigate the case.
The suit filed in London by a member of Parliament, a former senior police officer and a journalist, also says the Metropolitan Police didn’t warn them that they might have been victims of the newspaper’s “unlawful invasions of privacy,” their law firm, Bindmans LLP, said in a statement.
The lawsuit adds to the review of phone hacking allegations at News of the World during the time when Andy Coulson, Prime Minister David Cameron’s communications chief, was editor of the paper. The House of Commons last week voted to hold an inquiry into the issue.
“Our clients have still not been told the whole story about how their names came to be in the papers seized during the phone hacking investigation in 2006 and why they were not warned that their privacy might have been compromised,” Tamsin Allen, a lawyer for the three men, said in the statement.
News of the World spokeswoman Hayley Barlow declined to comment. Coulson, who resigned from the newspaper after a reporter and a private investigator were jailed for phone-tapping in 2007, has said he didn’t know the practice was taking place at the time.
A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police couldn’t be immediately reached to comment.
Chris Bryant, a member of the opposition Labour Party, former senior Met officer Brian Paddick and journalist Brendan Montague, filed the suit at the High Court in London yesterday. Allen said that two more people may join the lawsuit soon.
“The court will now determine whether or not the Metropolitan Police breached its public law and human rights obligations in the way it handled this investigation and its aftermath,” she said.
Sky News reported that Sean Hoare, a former News of the World reporter, was interview by police in a new probe of the phone hacking allegations. A Metropolitan Police spokesman said only that police interviewed a 47-year-old man in response to questions from Bloomberg News today.
To contact the reporter on this story: James Lumley in London at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Anthony Aarons at email@example.com.