Deaths From China Henan Mine Blast Rise to 48, Government Says

The death toll from China’s deadliest coal mine accident this year rose to 48 as the state safety department revised its count of the number of workers present in the pit when the accident happened.

Twenty-eight miners survived the blast on June 21 at a pit in Pingdingshan city in the central province of Henan, according to the latest tally by the State Administration of Work Safety. At least 76 workers were in the mine at the time, it said in a statement on its website.

China has the world’s worst coal-mine safety record, with an average of seven deaths each day in accidents last year. That compares with 18 deaths for an entire year in the U.S. The worst Chinese coal-mine disaster in two years killed more than 100 in November after an explosion in the northeastern province of Heilongjiang. In March, a coal mine flood in the northern Shanxi province trapped 153 workers, killing 38.

Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal. LEARN MORE