One of the greatest challenges facing today’s entrepreneur is finding and growing innovation. Here are some key ways to unleash the hidden potential in your business:
1) Think two generations ahead. Envision your company 50 or 100 years from now, even if you do not foresee your product or service lasting that long. Such reflection creates an umbrella under which long-term innovation can occur.
2) Develop a “creative toolbox.” Creativity drives change and innovation. Employ innovative exercises and routines in the workplace to stimulate all aspects of employees’ personality and skill sets.
3) Increase energy, not just efficiency. Through an “energy audit,” understand what energizes the staff and fuels personal growth, which is the ultimate source for creativity and profit. Reduce activities that de-energize your team, and match your employees to activities that stimulate creativity.
4) Establish the freedom to innovate. Tap into employees’ intuitive side by ritualizing “ingenuity time” on the job. Also, enable your employees to volunteer for community projects and social events to round out their work-life balance in meaningful ways.
5) Start all problem solving by taking responsibility. Always assume personal responsibility by asking what your role is in creating the problem. Effective leaders must tackle their own fears of failure head-on and be accountable at all times.
Charles Fleetham President Project Innovations Farmington Hills, Mich.