No, your weekend hosts do not need another vase. Or a coffee table book of nearby beaches. Or even a decorative pillow that may or may not reference an inside joke you think you might have established last night at the picnic table. You know what your host needs? A novelty ice cube tray.
We're serious. Just think about it: their house is fully stocked. Short of a new lawn mower, it's probably the only thing you can buy that won't elicit a forced smile and an ignominious fate in the broom closet. Plus, it's summer, they need ice!
1. Start with the obvious choices. Do they drink whiskey? Get them a whiskey-barrel shaped ice cube. (See? This isn't so hard. Put the Votivo candle down.)
2.Or perhaps you went sailing -- get them some anchor-shaped ice cubes.
3. ...Or, perhaps your hosts hate sailing, in which case, get them a Titanic-themed tray (for "Gin and Titonics").
4. The target audience for themed ice cube trays seems to be adolescent boys, which means there's no shortage of "Star Wars" themed options.
5. And even if your host isn't a 15-year-old boy, they can still have a similar emotional profile. Which is why this role playing d20 ice mold just might be the hit of the summer.
6. There's also a chance your weekend had a few hiccups. Maybe someone broke someone else's tooth during a friendly game of horseshoes. Or maybe someone slept with someone they shouldn't have. In that case, handgun ice cubes send the perfect message: "Thanks so much for the lovely weekend, and watch your back."
7. And then there's the one-size fits all, playful options. Like an octopus ice cube.
8. Let's end as all summer weekends do - on a tragic note . The fast-melting polar bear/penguin ice cubes are a neat reminder that your host's beach house will probably be underwater by 2050.