Lockheed’s F-35 Fighter Jet Won’t Fly to U.K. Air Show

July 15 (Bloomberg) -- Lockheed Martin Corp.’s F-35 fighter has been released on a limited basis from a grounding order imposed after an engine fire, suggesting no major flaws have been detected and boosting prospects for a star turn at Farnborough Air Show. Lockheed Martin test pilot Billie Flynn explains what the jet has to offer. (Source: Bloomberg)

Lockheed Martin Corp. (LMT)’s F-35 fighter jet won’t appear at a U.K. air show because temporary flight restrictions by the U.S. military ruled out a trans-Atlantic trip.

Four U.S. Marine Corps F-35B models, including one destined for the U.K.’s armed forces, were to have participated in the Farnborough Air Show, which started this week.

Those plans were scuttled yesterday after the U.S. Navy and Air Force agreed to only limited-time flights for the 97 jets grounded July 3 because of an engine fire last month on an Air Force version.

The jet’s failure to appear at Farnborough is the latest embarrassment for a $398 billion program marked by cost overruns, production delays and safety concerns. The U.S. is pushing to expand export sales of the fighter, built to satisfy requirements of the Air Force, Navy and Marine Corps.

More from the Farnborough Air Show:

The restrictions require that, after three hours of flight time, each front fan section of each engine has to be inspected with a borescope, Pentagon spokesman Rear Admiral John Kirby told reporters yesterday. The process allows for detailed evaluation of the United Technologies Corp. (UTX) Pratt & Whitney engines.

“That was a pretty significant limitation in terms of being able to fly them across the Atlantic,” Kirby said.

Marine Corps Commandant General James Amos concurred in the decision, Kirby said.

Vertical Landing

The short-takeoff-and-vertical-landing B model is the most complex version of the three types being built under the program. The Marine Corps plans to declare the first unit of jets combat ready as early as July 2015.

Laura Siebert, a Lockheed Martin spokeswoman, earlier referred questions to the Pentagon.

Colonel Dave Lapan, a spokesman for Amos, said in an e-mail statement the decision was a joint U.S.-U.K. one.

The decision “balanced the relatively quick-turn now required to prepare and get the airplanes over to the U.K. in time, against the time the aircraft would be able to participate in the show, all balanced against the need to return to operational flying as quickly as possible in the U.S.,” he said.

To contact the reporter on this story: Tony Capaccio in Washington at acapaccio@bloomberg.net

To contact the editors responsible for this story: John Walcott at jwalcott9@bloomberg.net Justin Blum, Steven Komarow

Press spacebar to pause and continue. Press esc to stop.

Bloomberg reserves the right to remove comments but is under no obligation to do so, or to explain individual moderation decisions.

Please enable JavaScript to view the comments powered by Disqus.