The former Maker Studios Inc. chief executive officer who last year accused the board of ousting him and taking control of the company through fraud is seeking to delay a shareholder vote on the acquisition by Walt Disney Co. (DIS)
Danny Zappin and three other co-founders of Maker yesterday asked California state court judge in Los Angeles to block the April 15 vote because, they said, the notice to shareholders is misleading. They had sought a hearing as early as today. No hearing was held today, according to court staff.
Disney will pay as much as $950 million for the supplier of video content for Google Inc.’s YouTube, the Burbank, California-based entertainment company said last month. With more than 55,000 channels, 380 million subscribers and 5.5 billion views a month on YouTube, Maker is one of the top online-video networks for young audiences, Disney said.
“Certain Maker directors illegally issued shares to themselves and diluted the common stock for their own financial gain to the detriment of other Maker shareholders and take control of Makers’ board so that they could rapidly create a liquidity event,” Zappin said in yesterday’s filing.
John Spiegel, a lawyer representing Culver City, California-based Maker, and Dean Kitchens, a lawyer representing the company’s board members, didn’t immediately respond to phone calls seeking comment on yesterday’s filing.
The case is Katz v. Donovan, BC513284, California Superior Court, Los Angeles County.
To contact the reporter on this story: Edvard Pettersson in Federal court in Los Angeles at
To contact the editors responsible for this story: Michael Hytha at firstname.lastname@example.org Peter Blumberg