Las Vegas Sands Websites Return to Service After Attack

Las Vegas Sands Corp. (LVS) restored its websites to service after almost a week offline, following an attack by hackers who haven’t been identified.

The websites of Sands and its casinos in the U.S., Singapore and Macau, China, went back in operation yesterday, Ron Reese, a spokesman for the Las Vegas-based company, said in an e-mail. Staff e-mail, which had been disabled by the intruders, was restored starting on Feb. 14.

“We continue to investigate what, if any, other systems may have been impacted,” Reese said. “The company continues to assist various law enforcement agencies in the investigation.”

The sites had been down since hackers defaced the home page of Sands’ Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, casino on Feb. 11. The intruders posted employees’ personal information and criticized Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Sheldon Adelson, a staunch supporter of Israel, over his comments on Iran’s nuclear plans.

Sands, the world’s largest casino operator, is working with state and federal law enforcement agencies investigating the attack.

Sands rose 0.7 percent to $80.74 at the close in New York. The shares gained 2.4 percent this year.

To contact the reporter on this story: Christopher Palmeri in Los Angeles at cpalmeri1@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Anthony Palazzo at apalazzo@bloomberg.net

Press spacebar to pause and continue. Press esc to stop.

Bloomberg reserves the right to remove comments but is under no obligation to do so, or to explain individual moderation decisions.

Please enable JavaScript to view the comments powered by Disqus.