Nigeria’s Sanusi to Finish Term Amid Report He’s Told to Resign

Nigeria’s central bank said Governor Lamido Sanusi plans to remain in office until his departure in June amid a newspaper report that President Goodluck Jonathan asked him to resign.

“The governor confirmed to the management and staff at a Central Bank of Nigeria meeting last night that he is not going on leave,” Ugochukwu Okoroafor, a spokesman for the Abuja-based bank, said in a phone interview today.

Jonathan asked Sanusi to resign for allegedly leaking a letter he wrote to the president to former leader Olusegun Obasanjo, Lagos-based ThisDay reported today, citing people it didn’t identify. In the letter sent to Jonathan, Sanusi said $49.8 billion of oil revenue wasn’t remitted to the government by Nigeria’s state-owned oil company.

Okoroafor declined to comment on the newspaper report.

Obasanjo accused Jonathan in a Dec. 2 letter of causing ethnic divisions and failing to tackle corruption, provoking an angry response from the president’s office.

Sanusi, 52, said last year he won’t renew his contract as governor when it expires in June.

To contact the reporter on this story: Daniel Magnowski in Abuja at dmagnowski@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Nasreen Seria at nseria@bloomberg.net

Press spacebar to pause and continue. Press esc to stop.

Bloomberg reserves the right to remove comments but is under no obligation to do so, or to explain individual moderation decisions.

Please enable JavaScript to view the comments powered by Disqus.