Brooks Assistant Didn’t Think Boss Would Be of Interest to Cops

A former assistant to Rebekah Brooks, who said she helped run every part of her life, told a London jury she didn’t think her boss or her notebooks would be “of interest” to police at the height of the phone-hacking scandal.

The assistant, Deborah Keegan, participated in the packing-up of boxes in 2009 from Brooks’s old office at News Corp. (NWSA)’s U.K. headquarters that police say went missing in the days before Brooks’s arrest in July 2011. Keegan testified today that she didn’t equate media interest in the case with the police investigation into phone hacking.

Brooks, 45, is one of seven people on trial over wrongdoing at the company’s British publications. Prosecutors are focusing on destruction-of-evidence charges after the first two months of the case concerned bribes to public officials and the interception of voice-mail messages.

The discovery on July 4, 2011, that a murdered school girl’s phone had been hacked in 2002 by the News of the World triggered public outrage that led News Corp. Chairman Rupert Murdoch to close the tabloid and to at least three police investigations.

Keegan’s former colleague Cheryl Carter, 49, is on trial for her part in an alleged cover-up that saw seven boxes of notebooks removed from the London-based company’s archives before Brooks was arrested.

Keegan, who testified that she has had chaperoned meetings with Carter “five or six times” since Carter was charged, packed up the material from Brooks’s old office at the Sun newspaper over a weekend after the then editor of the daily tabloid was named chief executive officer of News Corp.’s U.K. unit in 2009.

Monday Morning

Brooks “said she expected the office to be running smoothly on the Monday morning,” Keegan, who isn’t charged with a crime, testified today. “How we got there was our business.”

Carter removed the boxes from the archive on July 8, 2011, the same day Andy Coulson, a former editor of the News of the World also charged in the case, was arrested.

Prosecution lawyer Andrew Edis showed Keegan a list of the contents of five of the boxes that went missing from the archives.

During two days of testimony, Keegan said she worked 12-hour days and did Brooks’s shopping as part of her job.

Carter said in police interviews that most of the material belonged to her, dating back to her role as a beauty columnist for the Sun. Only some of it was Brooks’s, which she later returned to the company’s headquarters.

To contact the reporter on this story: Jeremy Hodges in London at

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Anthony Aarons at

Press spacebar to pause and continue. Press esc to stop.

Bloomberg reserves the right to remove comments but is under no obligation to do so, or to explain individual moderation decisions.

Please enable JavaScript to view the comments powered by Disqus.