Rockwood Holdings Inc. (ROC), the world’s largest producer of lithium products, agreed to form a joint venture with China’s Chengdu Tianqi Industry Group Co. that will give it a stake in Tianqi’s Australian mining unit.
Rockwood will take a 49 percent stake in a venture controlling Talison Lithium Pty Ltd., with Tianqui holding the other 51 percent, Princeton, New Jersey-based Rockwood said today in a statement.
Rockwood will contribute to the venture $196 million in equity and a two-year secured loan of as much as $670 million with 8 percent interest. It will also give Tianqi a three-year call option to acquire as much as 30 percent of its European lithium unit.
Tianqui bought Talison in February for about C$706 million ($664 million) after it trumped a competing offer from Rockwood. Talison owns the world’s largest open-pit lithium mine. The metal is used in batteries for iPads, laptop computers and electric cars.
The venture announced today will give Rockwood access to lithium reserves outside of the U.S. and Chile, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Seifi Ghasemi said in the statement. The deal is expected to close in the first quarter of 2014 after regulatory approvals, the company said.
Tianqi will contribute $204 million in equity into the partnership. Contributions made to the venture will be used to pay off existing debt and equity holders including Tianqi and Leader Investment Corp., a unit of China Investment Corp., Rockwood said.
Rockwood rose 6.4 percent to $72.82 at 11:50 a.m. in New York.
To contact the reporter on this story: Shruti Date Singh in Chicago at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Simon Casey at email@example.com