Barclays Bank Hacking Suspects Charged Over $2.1 Million Theft

London police charged three more men in connection with a 1.3 million pound ($2.1 million) cybercrime attack on a Barclays Plc (BARC) branch in the capital.

The trio, including a former employee of the bank, were charged yesterday with conspiracy to steal and were released on bail. They will appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on October 15. Four other men were charged in the case last month.

The money was taken via the computer system of a Barclays branch in north London in April, the Metropolitan Police said last month. A man posing as an information technology engineer had installed a device in the local branch that allowed the group to remotely transfer money to accounts, the Met said at the time. Barclays recovered a “significant amount” of the stolen funds.

Banks face cyber-security threats from increasingly sophisticated hackers trying to steal customer identities or access funds. The Met said on Sept. 13 it detained twelve men over an attempt to hack into Banco Santander SA (SAN) computers, preventing a theft potentially worth millions of pounds.

To contact the reporter on this story: Suzi Ring in London at sring5@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Anthony Aarons at aaarons@bloomberg.net

Press spacebar to pause and continue. Press esc to stop.

Bloomberg reserves the right to remove comments but is under no obligation to do so, or to explain individual moderation decisions.

Please enable JavaScript to view the comments powered by Disqus.