Spurs Put Sale of Bale to Real Madrid on Hold: Soccer Roundup

The following is a roundup of soccer stories from U.K. newspapers, with clickable Internet links.

Bale Delay

Tottenham Hotspur may delay the sale of Gareth Bale to Real Madrid until after a Sept. 1 Premier League match against London rival Arsenal, the Daily Telegraph reported.

The Spanish club had hoped to unveil Bale today after agreeing in principle to buy him for a world-record fee of 90 million pounds ($140 million), though Spurs will not release the forward until a replacement is signed, the newspaper added.

Spurs chairman Daniel Levy stalled the transfer because he’s frustrated with Real’s approach to the deal and Bale was ordered back to training, the Daily Mirror reported.

Lamela Transfer Close

Roma forward Erik Lamela will complete his 30 million-pound transfer to Spurs in the next 24 hours, the Daily Star reported.

Lamela, a 21-year-old Argentina international, will fly to England to conclude talks on personal terms which began last week between his agent and Tottenham technical director Franco Baldini, the newspaper added.

Trio Available

Striker Karim Benzema, midfielder Mesut Ozil and winger Angel Di Maria may all be sold to Premier League clubs as Real seeks to fund the deal for Bale and a bid for Liverpool striker Luis Suarez, the Mirror reported.

Benzema has been offered to Arsenal, which is said to be interested in all three Madrid players, the newspaper added. Manchester United has been sounded out about the trio, whose sale could raise 100 million pounds, the Mirror said.

Rooney Ultimatum

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho challenged Wayne Rooney to go public if he still wants to leave Manchester United and said he would give the striker until tomorrow to make clear his intentions, the Guardian reported.

United’s position on Rooney is unchanged, meaning a third bid from Chelsea will be rejected even if the England forward hands in a transfer request, the newspaper added.

Fellaini Bid

United plans to make a 20 million-pound bid for Everton’s Marouane Fellaini after failing with a combined offer of 28 million pounds for the Belgian midfielder and England left-back Leighton Baines, the Daily Telegraph reported.

While Everton has publicly resisted United’s efforts to sign Fellaini, manager Roberto Martinez has identified Wigan’s James McCarthy as a potential replacement, the newspaper added.

Editor: Alex Duff

To contact the reporter on this story: Dan Baynes in Sydney at dbaynes@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Christopher Elser at celser@bloomberg.net

Press spacebar to pause and continue. Press esc to stop.

Bloomberg reserves the right to remove comments but is under no obligation to do so, or to explain individual moderation decisions.

Please enable JavaScript to view the comments powered by Disqus.