Terror Threat Extends U.S. Embassy Closings Citing Yemen

Photographer: Mohammed Huwais/AFP via Getty Images

A Yemeni soldier searches a car at a checkpoint on a street leading to the U.S. embassy compound in Sanaa on August 4, 2013. Close

A Yemeni soldier searches a car at a checkpoint on a street leading to the U.S. embassy... Read More

Close
Open
Photographer: Mohammed Huwais/AFP via Getty Images

A Yemeni soldier searches a car at a checkpoint on a street leading to the U.S. embassy compound in Sanaa on August 4, 2013.

At least 19 U.S. embassies and consulates in predominantly Muslim countries will remain closed through this week as the Obama administration tied terror threats to the Yemen-based offshoot of al-Qaeda.

That branch “has been the most operationally active affiliate of al-Qaeda core,” State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf told reporters today in Washington, in the government’s most specific description of the source of the terror threats disclosed last week.

The U.S. closed 22 outposts yesterday after the State Department’s issued a worldwide travel alert warning of attacks in the Middle East, North Africa and South Asia by al-Qaeda or its affiliates. The decision to extend the shutdown for 19 of the facilities through Aug. 10 “is not an indication of a new threat,” Jen Psaki, a department spokeswoman, said yesterday in an e-mail.

While the threat is from the branch called al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, White House press secretary Jay Carney said today the risk extends “potentially” beyond the region. He declined to specify whether there was any direct threat to the U.S. homeland.

“The threat from al-Qaeda and affiliated organizations to the United States and to the American people has been a reality that we’ve talked about for a long time now,” he said.

Photographer: Mohammed Huwais/AFP via Getty Images

Britain’s embassy in Yemen, which was also closed yesterday because of heightened security concerns, will remain shut until the end of the Muslim Eid holiday this week, the Foreign Office said on its website. Close

Britain’s embassy in Yemen, which was also closed yesterday because of heightened... Read More

Close
Open
Photographer: Mohammed Huwais/AFP via Getty Images

Britain’s embassy in Yemen, which was also closed yesterday because of heightened security concerns, will remain shut until the end of the Muslim Eid holiday this week, the Foreign Office said on its website.

Core ‘Decimated’

Carney defended the administration’s past statements that al-Qaeda has been on the run because of U.S. military and intelligence action. He sought to make a distinction between the al-Qaeda movement that was led by Osama bin Laden and the splinter groups such as al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula.

Obama has always “made clear that the threat from al-Qaeda very much remains” even though the core leadership “that attacked the United States on Sept. 11, 2001, has been decimated,” Carney said.

While bin Laden’s core al-Qaeda group operated out of Afghanistan and he was killed by U.S. special forces in Pakistan, he was born in the remote area of Saudi Arabia and Yemen that is now the base of the AQAP offshoot.

Britain’s embassy in Yemen, which was also closed yesterday because of heightened security concerns, will remain shut until the end of the Muslim Eid holiday this week, the Foreign Office said on its website. The mission is operating with only essential staff. The U.K. has urged all Britons to leave Yemen.

France, Germany

France will keep its embassy in the Yemeni capital, Sanaa, closed though Aug. 7, the Foreign Ministry in Paris said. The German mission there remains shut as well, Foreign Ministry spokesman Andreas Peschke told a news conference in Berlin, though he said there’s no evidence of specific terror threats.

“High-level people from al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula are talking about a major attack,” U.S. Representative C.A. “Dutch” Ruppersberger of Maryland, the top Democrat on the House Intelligence committee, said on ABC’s “This Week” program that aired yesterday. “The good news is that we’ve picked up intelligence.”

The information includes communications among known terrorists intercepted by the National Security Agency in recent days, according to two U.S. officials who asked not to be identified discussing classified intelligence matters. They declined to offer specifics about the exchanges, only saying the content is credible and disturbing.

“This threat was so specific as to how enormous it was going to be and also certain dates were given,” Representative Peter King, a New York Republican who serves on both the House Intelligence and Homeland Security committees, said on “This Week.” While an attempted attack is most likely to happen in the Middle East, “It could be in Europe, it could be in the United States.”

‘Most Serious’

“This is the most serious threat that I’ve seen in the last several years,” Senator Saxby Chambliss of Georgia, the top Republican on the chamber’s Intelligence Committee, said on NBC’s “Meet the Press” program. “There’s been an awful lot of chatter out there” among terrorists, Chambliss said, noting it’s “reminiscent of what we saw pre-9/11.”

Twenty-two embassies and other diplomatic posts were closed yesterday, including in Libya, Egypt, Yemen and Jordan. Some of them were removed from the list of closures for the week, while others were added.

‘End of August’

“Current information suggests that al-Qaeda and affiliated organizations continue to plan terrorist attacks both in the region and beyond, and that they may focus efforts to conduct attacks in the period between now and the end of August,” the department said last week. The attacks “may involve public transportation systems and other tourist infrastructure.”

The warning of a potential attack by al-Qaeda and other terrorist organizations is unusual this time partly because the groups are so “widely dispersed,” said Michael Chertoff, who was homeland security secretary under President George W. Bush.

“It’s actually quite rare to have this broad and yet so alarming and specific a warning be publicly disseminated,” Chertoff, who founded a security consulting company in Washington, told “This Week.”

Benghazi Attack

The State Department pledged to increase security at embassies and consulates after the attack on a U.S. mission in Benghazi, Libya, on Sept. 11, 2012, led to the death of U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans. The Central Intelligence Agency said it had warned the State Department repeatedly of terrorist threats in Benghazi before the attack, according to e-mails released later by the White House.

The State Department had issued a similar warning of possible attacks before that.

The latest alert and embassy closures may be an effort to disrupt al-Qaeda operations, according to Michael Hayden, who served as CIA director under the George W. Bush administration.

The announcements may be designed to put al-Qaeda “on the back foot, to let them know that we’re alert and we’re on to at least a portion of this plot line,” Hayden said yesterday on “Fox News Sunday.”

Too Ambitious

The scale of the attacks discussed in the intercepted al-Qaeda communications, coupled with the fact that the messages violated the terrorist group’s known rules about avoiding mobile and satellite phones and online conversations in favor of couriers, made some intelligence officials suspicious about the group’s intent, the two U.S. officials said.

The attacks the terrorists discussed were too ambitious in size and scope to ignore, both officials said, and that may have been deliberate. It’s also possible the discussions were intended to put al-Qaeda back in the headlines after years of foiled plots. The officials spoke on the condition of anonymity because they aren’t authorized to speak publicly.

At the same time, said both officials, it’s not time to exhale because the list of targets and the timing in the intercepted communications may have been deliberately misleading, or the planners may have gone back to the drawing board after they learned that their plans had been discovered.

The U.S. warning came days after al-Qaeda’s leader, Ayman al-Zawahiri, urged his followers in a speech posted on jihadist websites to attack U.S. sites as a response to American drone strikes in Pakistan and Yemen, according to the SITE Intelligence Group, which monitors terrorist groups.

To contact the reporters on this story: Michelle Jamrisko in Washington at mjamrisko@bloomberg.net; Nicole Gaouette in Washington at ngaouette@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Romaine Bostick at rbostick@bloomberg.net

Bloomberg reserves the right to remove comments but is under no obligation to do so, or to explain individual moderation decisions.

Please enable JavaScript to view the comments powered by Disqus.