Breaking News

Tweet TWEET

Thunderbirds Fly as Air Force Resumes Flights After Cuts

Photographer: George Frey/Bloomberg

A United States Airforce F-16 Thunderbird pilot flies over the pan handle of Texas and pulls up to a boom for refueling from a KC-135R flying tanker. Close

A United States Airforce F-16 Thunderbird pilot flies over the pan handle of Texas and... Read More

Close
Open
Photographer: George Frey/Bloomberg

A United States Airforce F-16 Thunderbird pilot flies over the pan handle of Texas and pulls up to a boom for refueling from a KC-135R flying tanker.

The U.S. Air Force’s Thunderbirds demonstration team is heading back into the air as the service resumes training flights that had been grounded by across-the-board budget cuts.

Combat aircraft from multiple commands are flying again after the service obligated $208 million for flight hours from a $1.8 billion shift in budget allocations authorized by Congress, the Air Force said today in a statement.

While the Thunderbirds are resuming training flights, the squadron won’t be restoring its canceled schedule of air shows for this year. It is acting “with the anticipation that it may be able to resume a limited number of aerial demonstrations next calendar year,” Major Darrick Lee, a spokesman for the Thunderbirds, said in a separate statement on its website.

The cancellation of pilot flying hours for training began soon after the automatic budget cuts, called sequestration, were triggered in March. The Pentagon is absorbing about $37 billion in cuts through Sept. 30, the end of this fiscal year.

“Since April we’ve been in a precipitous decline with regard to combat readiness,” General Mike Hostage, commander of the Air Combat Command at Joint Base Langley-Eustis in Virginia, said in the statement. “Returning to flying is an important first step, but what we have ahead of us is a measured climb to recovery.”

About 300 combat and training aircraft from multiple combat units will have flying hours restored, Lieutenant Colonel Edward Sholtis, an Air Combat Command spokesman, said by e-mail.

Planes may be grounded again after Oct. 1, when the beginning of a new fiscal year will require an additional $52 billion in Defense Department cuts, unless Congress and President Barack Obama agree on an alternative deficit-reduction plan.

‘Band-Aid Solution’

Hostage said the shift in funds to finance flight hours means less money for investments aimed at modernizing the force.

“We are using investment dollars to pay current operational bills, and that approach is not without risk to our long-term effectiveness,” he said in the statement. “We can’t mortgage our future.”

Senator John McCain of Arizona, a senior Republican on the Armed Services Committee, issued a statement praising the Air Force for “working creatively to keep our pilots in the skies, if only temporarily, but this decision is a Band-Aid solution that cannot be sustained.”

To contact the reporter on this story: David Lerman in Washington at dlerman1@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: John Walcott at jwalcott9@bloomberg.net

Bloomberg reserves the right to edit or remove comments but is under no obligation to do so, or to explain individual moderation decisions.

Please enable JavaScript to view the comments powered by Disqus.